Thursday, September 12, 2013

PRAYING IN THE GROCERY STORY

(produce and herbs from the friary garden)
 
AN EXERCISE IN GRATITUDE
 
"Whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."   (Colossians 3:17)
 
Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D., writes a reflection  on Paul's words to the Colossians in the daily devotional:  LIVING FAITH that we might take with us grocery shopping.  You might want to read the whole passage from St. Paul for today:  Colossians 3:12-17.   It's always a rich scripture text to bring to prayer. 
 
"Three times today St. Paul tells the Colossians to be thankful.   Gratitude is the hallmark of our faith.
 
For me, grocery shopping is an exercise in gratitude.  As I enter the store, I remind myself how lucky I am to have so much food readily available.  As I push my cart through the produce section, I marvel at the beautiful array of apples, oranges, bananas, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, corn.   And I pray for all those individuals who played a part in bringing this precious food to this store -- farmers, pickers, processors, truck drivers.   Rather than always complaining about the prices,  I try to thank God that I can still afford to buy good food -- and I pray for those who can't.   Every week I also try to buy a few non-perishables for our church's food pantry.   When I get home and put all the groceries away, I always have a deep sense of just how blessed I really am.
 
What experiences evoke gratitude in you?"
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment