Sunday, March 11, 2012

PRAYER REFLECTION FROM YOUR PRAYER FRATERNITY

 
 
This reflection on prayer comes from Sr. Macrina Wiederkehr, OSB, in her book, A TREE FULL OF ANGELS, p. 39;  it was published by Harper and Row, in 1988.
 
"There is no better way to end this chapter than by reflecting with you on that golden response to God called prayer.
 
To pray is to touch God and let God touch us.  It is a matter of presence and response.  Prayer does nothing to make God more present, for God is always present.  Prayer is our response to the presence of God in our lives.  A friend comes to see us.  What do we do?  We reach out to touch and receive that friend.  We allow this friend, in some way, to touch us.  Friendship is a marvelous exchange, and that is exactly what prayer is.
 
So how do I pray?  
 
I listen.   I talk.  I weep.  I am silent.   I embrace the beloved.   I gaze with reverence.    I wonder and adore.   I share my needs.    I have tea with God.    I give gifts.    I receive gifts.    I give thanks and I say I'm sorry.   I scream.   I get angry.   I show God all my life, including my very divided heart.   I relax.   I'm at home.  Sometimes I read a poem or tell God a story.  Sometimes I dance.   God loves stories and poems and dances.  Sometimes I get a bit dramatic with God .... God recognizes the cry of my heart as prayer ...  Prayer is a marvelous exchange."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment