Saturday, March 31, 2012

PRAYER! -- NATURE CALLS SPRING INTO BEING

(bench down by St. Anthony Park & pond - our 'swamp cathedral')
 
 
NATURE'S CHORUSES HERALD ARRIVAL OF SPRING
 
(Several weeks ago some retreatants were sitting on the bench down by the pond and noticed that there was a chorus of tree frogs and other creatures singing -- or was it praying?   They seemed to be letting us know that God was speaking through them of the arrival of spring and new life for them and the trees and spring flowers.   New life for us!    A friend of the community, Alice Ellis, shared the following reflection as she experienced nature awakening and reminding all of us of God's goodness in this 'spring-has-sprung hallelujah'.)
 
 
MUSIC IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER
 
Even though it was only March 18th, it was so warm at bedtime, I decided to open the window.  Could it be true?  I thought that I could hear frogs singing.  I put my ear closer to the window-screen and sure enough, the frog choir was belting out the "hallelujah chorus" from the nearby swamp-cathedral.   The wake-up hallelujah from hibernation.  The spring-has-sprung hallelujah
 
I am sure George Frideric Handel (1685 to 1759) would not compare the song of frogs to his Hallelujah Chorus, but I suspect Handel would hear "music."  After the deadening silence of winter, spring arrives through the love-arias of birds, the operatic yip of coyotes, the full choir of frogs, the trumpet of swans, the percussion of woodpeckers, the drumbeat of grouse ... it is all here.   We have singers and we have a full symphony ... all playing the song of life.
 
In 1717 Handel composed a collection of music called Water Music.  This concert was performed outdoors on the River Thames for King George I.  It was said that George I enjoyed it so much, that he made the musicians play it three times during the course of the outing.  No wonder the frogs sing all night!
 
When I think of the genius of Handel,  I can't help but ponder what forces inspired him.   Did he also keep the bedroom window open at night?   Perhaps.  Sing it out frogs;  we hear you.  Hallelujah!
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment