Sunday, June 13, 2010

Prayer Quotes from your Prayer Fraternity

This month's quote on prayer comes from St. Therese of Lisieux:
 
"The power of prayer is indeed wonderful.  It is like a queen, who, having free access always to the king, can obtain whatever she asks.  To secure a hearing there is no need to recite set prayers composed for the occasion -- were this the case, I should indeed deserve to be pitied!
 
Apart from the Office (the daily prayer of the Church) which is a daily joy, I do not have the courage to search through books for beautiful prayers.  They are so numerous that it would only make my head ache.  Unable either to say them all or to choose between them, I do as a child would who cannot read -- I just say what I want to say to God, quite simply, and he never fails to understand.
 
For me, prayer is an uplifting of the heart, a glance towards heaven, a cry of gratitude and love in times of sorrow as well as joy.  It is something noble, something supernatural, which expands the soul and unites it to God.
 
When my state of spiritual aridity is such that not a single good thought will come, I repeat very slowly the Our Father and the Hail Mary, which are enough to console me, and provide food for my soul."


No comments:

Post a Comment