Sunday, March 15, 2015

TRANSFORMING PRAYER

(a view of the Colorado Rockies)
 
TRANSFORMING PRAYER -- esp.  'Dryness'
 
One thing I have learned about prayer is that if you remain faithful to it,  the day will come when it becomes not just dry, but even distasteful.  Moments of consolation are replaced by boredom, and a half-hour prayer session seems like an eternity.  Through the ages the giants of prayer have reassured us that as long as we have remained faithful to the practice of prayer,  this is a normal step in the spiritual journey and must simply be lived through.
 
I may not like it, yet when I consider the fruit of this experience through the eyes of faith,  I can see that even this dryness is a strange and wonderful gift.   I might want to control every aspect of my spiritual journey and my ego may desire what feels like success in prayer, but God is interested in the total transformation of my heart and mind.
 
(This reflection, written by Terri Mifek,  appeared in the daily devotional,  LIVING FAITH, for Sunday, March 15th.)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment