Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A PRAYER OF PRAISE

 
PUTTING PRAISE INTO OUR PRAYER!
 
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with all my heart ....
    in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise.  (Psalm 138:1)
 
As outlined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church,  we generally recognize five types of prayer:   adoration,  intercession, petition, thanksgiving and prayers of praise of God.   As far as I know,  there is no hierarchy of prayer:   All types are good, and God loves to hear from us.   But I wonder how often do we just sit down and take a moment to thank God for all that he has given us,  to simply praise God?
 
A reading of the psalms gives us a glimpse of prayers of praise and thanksgiving.  Over and over, the psalmist turns his attention to the blessings of God's creation, to the power and majesty of the Almighty,  praising God again and again for his laws,  his love and his guidance.   I can't remember when I thought to thank God for his commandments.   Praying the psalms is a perfect way to begin.
 
(This reflection on prayer by Paul Pennick appeared in LIVING FAITH for Sept. 29, 2014.)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment