Wednesday, June 25, 2014

THE BEGINNING OF PRAYER


...the beginning of prayer is to consider that God 'beholds' us!...

I've seen lots of glorious, almost unspeakable beauty in my life -- people and places that have literally taken my breath away.  I remember watching my bride walk up the aisle almost 34 years ago.  I still get a little weak-kneed thinking about my first glimpses of my children and grandson.   I've stood awestruck watching the sun set over the ocean or illuminate the red rock formations of northern Arizona.  Simply glorious.

Isaiah reminds us in 49: 5  "I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord"  that we too are glorious because the God of all creation makes us so.  God sees us,  is mindful of us, and we become as majestic in God's eyes as the southern rim of the Grand Canyon or a great work of art.   The beginning of prayer,  St. Ignatius says, is to consider that God "beholds" us.   It's incredible enough to consider that the God who made everything pays any attention to us at all.  It's quite something else to realize he thinks we're glorious.

"God of creation, thank you for making me glorious."   

(This reflection appears as the daily meditation in LIVING FAITH for June 24, 2014.   It is written by Steve Givens.)

No comments:

Post a Comment