Wednesday, November 6, 2013

PRAYER WALKS

 
Sr. Jose Hobday,  OSF
 
PRAYER WALKS
 
My mother (a Seneca-Iroquois Native American) used to take me on prayer walks.  She would say:  "We won't talk.  We shall just walk and look and thank God for everything beautiful.  Let's think about how God loves us.
 
My father (a Southern Baptist), much more comfortable with prayer formulas, was somewhat skeptical of this kind of praying.  One day he asked my mother,  "How do you know she is really praying when you go on those walks?"  
 
And my mother answered,   "How do you know she is not?"
 
(This brief personal story about 'PRAYER WALKS' was told by  Sr. Jose Hobday  in an introduction she wrote for the book:  WHO WE ARE IS HOW WE PRAY:  Matching Personality and Spirituality,   by Dr. Charles J. Keating, published by Twenty-Third Publications.)

No comments:

Post a Comment