Saturday, August 31, 2013

PRAYING FAITHFULLY, even with the monkeys

PRAYING FAITHFULLY
 
(This reflection was written by Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM, for the daily Catholic devotional:  LIVING FAITH - written for the August 31st readings, it offers an important reflection for us about distractions and other issues that arise in our prayer lives.)
 
At the conclusion of a contemplative prayer session I was leading, a woman approached and asked if I might share with her what was unfolding in me as I sat in perfect stillness in the chapel.   After a pause,  I replied,  "Monkeys."   In response to her rather confused expression, I explained that, although exteriorly I may appear to be centered and quiet in prayer,  I continually struggle with what the Buddhists call "monkey mind," that interior chatter that goes on within me when I engage in meditation, as if a dozen monkeys were all clamoring for attention.
 
Years ago I was quite discouraged at my failure to silence the monkey mind and live a tranquil prayer life.   With wisdom,  I've come to believe that God calls us not to perfection, but to faithfulness, to continually starting over, starting fresh, starting anew, and not giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment