Wednesday, June 5, 2013

PRAISE OF CREATION

(red hot poker and lily)
 
Spring into summer always brings lots of flowers to the Ozarks;  along with spring rains (tornadoes, too), mild to warm to hot temperatures, lots of green and all the colors of God's splendor.   How do we let this lead us to wonder and awe  -- and prayer?
 
I thank you, O God, for the pleasures you have given me through my senses;  for the glory of thunder,  for the mystery of music,  the singing of birds and the laughter of children.  I thank you for the delights of color, the awe of the sunset, the wild roses in the hedgerows, the smile of friendship.   I thank you for the sweetness of flowers and the scent of hay.   Truly, O Lord, the earth is full of your riches.
 
( prayer by Edward King  -- 1829-1910   --  taken from THE BOOK OF A THOUSAND PRAYERS  by  Angela Ashwin,  p. 87)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment