Thursday, December 6, 2012

SIMPLICITY IN YOUR PRAYER

(Charley's Hollow -- a stream flowing thru monastery property)

 
BRINGING SIMPLICITY INTO YOUR PRAYER
 
We have a principle in science called "Occam's Razor" that says if multiple theories explain a phenomenon such as the motion of the planets across the sky, the simplest theory is preferred.
 
In my spiritual life, I try to seek simplicity.  It's so easy to pile up prayer books and, now, podcasts, that my prayer time gets so busy I forget to just pray.   When I recognize that I've lost simplicity in prayer, I turn to a meditation that many spiritual teachers recommend.   In rhythm with my breathing, I start with, "Be still and know that I am God,"  then drop words off the end to "Be still and know that I am,"   "Be still and know," and "Be still."    Then add the last words back on.  In this way I am able to allow space in my mind and heart for God to reveal what my busy prayers hide from me.
 
(The above quote is by Aileen O'Donoghue and appears as a daily mediation for Dec. 4, 2012, in Living Faithwww.livingfaith.com)  

No comments:

Post a Comment