Sunday, January 15, 2012

POPE BENEDICT XVI AND PRAYER

 
POPE BENEDICT SPEAKS ABOUT PRAYING
 
 
In 2010, Pope Benedict agreed to a series of interviews with veteran journalist, Peter Seewald.  One of the questions asked of the Pontiff in the interview was: "And how does Pope Bendict pray?"   The pope responded with these words:
 
 
"As far as the Pope is concerned, he too is a simple beggar before God -- even more than all other people.  Naturally I always pray first and foremost to Our Lord, with whom I am united simply by old acquaintance, so to speak.    But I also invoke the saints.  I am friends with Augustine, with Bonaventure, with Thomas Aquinas.  Then one says to such saints also:  Help me!   And the Mother of God, is, in any case, always a  major point of reference.  In this sense I commend myself to the communion of saints.  With them, strengthened by them, I then talk with the dear Lord also, begging, for the most part, but also in thanksgiving -- or quite simply being joyful."
 
 
(from BENEDICT XVI,   LIGHT OF THE WORLD,   Ignatius Press,    p. 17)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment