Sunday, August 22, 2010

What is your prayer -- for forgiveness?

 
A  METHOD  OF  PRAYER  FOR  FORGIVENESS 

A recent book by Paula Pearce, SFO, published in 2007 by St. Anthony Messenger Press is PRAYERS FROM FRANCISCAN HEARTS.   On page 75 in that book, Sr. Mary Veronica Ceniza, O.S.C., shares a method of praying for the gift of forgiveness.   She shares:
 
"During the singing or recitation of the Our Father in the Divine Office and most especially during Eucharistic celebrations, I silently and sincerely insert the name of the particular person that I need to forgive or that needed to forgive me.  After the phrase, 'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive....',   I attentively insert the name of the person.  I continually repeat this practice.  Then the time just comes when I already feel that I no longer have to do it for I already feel peace in my heart with regard to this person, however near or far from me physically.  I may not have forgotten what and how the incident happened, but my reaction is no longer pain or anger or whatever negative emotion used to follow each time it was remembered.  I have attained the peace my heart desires.   Then later, at any time of the day or night that I pray, I continue to praise God and sincerely bless the person concerned." 

No comments:

Post a Comment